Monday, June 6, 2011

Way out of my comfort zone.....

Yep a 5k mud run with 14 obstacles.
First off I am NOT a runner.  Never have really exercised until Feb. 2011 when I started the 17 day diet and  changed my life.  I saw the Mach 1 Corona Mud run a couple of months ago and decided to make it a goal.  Not sure why I wanted to do this but I did.  So I enlisted a couple of friends to join me on my adventure.
Michelle, Me and Krista
 We arrived at the Corona airport and shortly after arriving we found some runners that we new.
Michelle, Matt, Beth, me, Krista and Robert
 My nerves were going crazy,  I was scared to death!
On your mark, get set, GOOOOOO
 Kent was my camera man and he tried to get pictures of everyone.
 The others all took of running and left me and Michelle in there dust! We didn't care, my personal goal was to do my best and finish! Two obstacles (Mud pit and hay bale hurdles) down almost to the 3rd which was the cargo net.
 The guy on the ground is who I followed up, I did NOT want to look like him!  So when I rounded the top, the net on the other side moves and I started to lose my balance.  I banged my wrist on the wood frame to prevent from looking like him.  I have a nice LARGE bruise on my wrist but I didn't fall!!  Shoot that is my only war wound from the whole run!  I think i am looking great!
 After the cargo net we were to far for spectators to see us, we went through the tires, climbed a wall and through some tunnels before reaching these lovely monkey bars.  This is Beth on them now.  I am not sure if you can see how high they are but they were high.  Matter of fact before we got there 4 people had been loaded in an ambulance and taken to the hospital with injuries.  As I arrived the last ambulance was pulling away and the fire captain was walking to another guy who had hurt his shoulder.   At this time the Fire captain said he was shutting down the bars due to too many injuries.  I said " I'll be your first to go around it you want"?  Fire captain replied " Go around then"  I smiled and said "you don't have to tell me twice". =)  I was very happy about this.  I did NOT want to leave in an ambulance!
 Check out that form! HA!
 Kent could see any more of the obstacles until the end.  So we have to fast forward to the finish line.  However, I had several more obstacles to do.  A rope swing over a mud pit, hurdles with a water truck spraying us with water as we climbed over them.  Balance beam over a mud pit with the water truck spraying us. Stomach crawl in the mud under a cargo net. I think there was a couple more. (14 total obstacles)
Krista and Robert in the final mud pit.  I think there time was around 47 minutes. 
 Here comes Michelle and myself.  Almost done.
 Seriously I have to swim in this mud?  Yep, you sure do.  The guy yelled at me get down!  I think I called him a bastard or something and then went in.
 Oh yeah baby!
 Ok, note to self never laugh while on your knees in a mud pit.
  I ended up with a bit of mud on my teeth! Gross.
 Making my daddy proud, representing the LAFD! =)
 Last hill and the finish line less then 20 feet away!
Check out the mud running down my legs!
 Woot woot 
Final time 56:50 
I know you runners are laughing at my time but I am so proud of myself for not only entering the mud run but actually finishing it!  
 We are a muddy mess!  Off to the showers so we could ride home.
 Ha!  Not a great picture of me. 
 Me and Beth
I am so doing this again!  It was such a great feeling to finish. With your friends and family yelling and routing you on when you reach that last mud pit, well it was just so satisfying!
 Thanks to my hubby for supporting my adventure and never saying anything negative about me doing this.  Your love and support means so much to me,  thank you, thank you, thank you!  I am sure you would have rather been doing something else besides standing in the hot sun for over and hour waiting for me!  I love you with all my heart!  You are amazing!!

4 comments:

Tawni716 said...

Awwww how fun! But seriously, I don't think I could do it ... not the mud pit anyway ... I think I'd be like "HELL NO!" haha Love the shout out to Kent =) Were the girls bored or did they love watching?

Good job Traci!!! xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

yay! way to go! im so glad you did it, i think they are the best!

Genn said...

Way to go Traci! Congrats! That is hard to step way out of your comfort zone.
You look so good. Especially in that first pic of you!! Looking skinny!
And the mud... laughing... oh no. I hope you closed your mouth the rest of the way through! lol :)

Anonymous said...

You're so cute & hilarious might I add! I am so proud of you! You looked great & like you kicked ass out there! I heard about the injuries, crazy hah?! Mud on teeth, yikes! Good for you for muttering bastard before getting in mud, I woulda splashed a little his way also! Hehehe
Great work!