Have you ever put eggs on the stove and forgotten them?
Well, that's exactly what I did.
On Friday, I had tons to do to get ready for our camping trip to Newport. After dropping Amy off at school, Hannah and I did a few errands. At Sam's club you have to buy 2 -18 count cartons of eggs. So I thought I would boil some and make egg salad sandwiches for lunch on Saturday at the beach. I ran in the house put 6 eggs in a pot, turned it on HIGH and started packing the motorhome. I looked at my watch and thought crap, I need to get to Amy's school for picnic on the play ground. I put Hannah in the car, ran in the house grabbed my pursed, typed on FB about going to the school and off we went. Ran to Del Taco and then to the school, stayed about an hour. Left went to the dollar store for some cards and to Stater Bros. for groceries. Loaded back into the car and headed home. When I was making the turn onto my street, I thought about the eggs and said to myself. Please have let Rick come home for lunch today! Pulled into the driveway and without even thinking grabbed the door and flung it open. The house was full of BLACK SMOKE. Without skipping a beat, grabbed my shirt covered my nose and mouth and ran into the house. Turned off the stove, the fire alarm was sounding, saying FIRE, FIRE, FIRE! I opened the front door turned the fan the other direction to blow the smoke out and tried to silence the alarm. The button to turn off the alarm, said SILENCE NOT ALLOWED, FIRE, FIRE, FIRE! As I was opening all the windows I hear Rick yell into the house "MOM, ARE YOU OKAY?!!! When he pulled into the driveway he could see smoke bellowing out of or house, he said you could hardly see the house or the front lawn. He helped me open everything up. After I calmed down I checked out the damage. The pot is DONE!! What I think happened is the eggs exploded making the lid a jar and the water boiled dry and the pan was starting to burn. I found eggs in my dinning room about 8- 10 feet away from the pot. Get this no one called the fire department, my neighbors had no idea what was happening in my house. Even after the smoke was filling the outside of my house, no one even called. Crazy!
These eggs boiled for over 3 hours on high.
Can you see how the pan was burning / starting to melt.
This was after the house started to air out. It smells so bad in here. I don't know if we will ever get the smell completely out.
I called my dad to tell him I was a very bad fireman's daughter. He said I probably had 30 minutes or less before my house went up in flames. He said that much smoke is combustable and when it fills the house its extremely flammable gas and smoke. Now that I think back on it, I can't believe I ran into the house to turn off the fire. I guess I could have gotten hurt. Needless to say after leaving the house open ALL weekend, it still smells. Rick sprayed fabreeze all weekend but it really didn't make a difference. Kent went to Home Depot tonight and bought some Smoke Out, I will try that tomorrow. After all I have a Baby shower here on Saturday for about 30 woman. My house smells, like brunt eggs, gas, poison and smoke. BTW, this means EVERYTHING in my house smells like this, Clothes, Towels, Curtains, Rugs, Carpet, Couches, inside the refrigerator, the Pantry, you name it and it smells bad! UGH.
To all my cooking friends, Please be careful. My dad said he was been on many house fires because someone forgot something on the stove!
3 comments:
Oh my gosh Traci! How awful. Those eggs sure do not look tasty.
I can't imagine how awful the smell and smoke must have been.
And I can't imagine that the neighbors didn't call the fire dept either!
Thanks for the safety reminder. I hope you are able to eliminate the smell in time for your shower!! Good luck!
I definately don't like my eggs burnt ... GEEESH I can't beleive no one called the fire dept with all that smoke. YOu got lucky...And RIP pot :(
I too did something silly but luckily was repremanded by my boyfriend who is a firefighter too, I almost left the house to run an errand with the oven on & I had chicken in there...I said it'll be fine...he said NO WAY b/c the chicken was super thin & not much of it & that's how fires start! Ooopsies...
Glad it was just a lot of smoke & everyone is okay.
Labor day weekend photos are cute too!
HOLY CRAP Traci!
Post a Comment